NYC & COMPANY ANNOUNCES CITY ISLAND AND PELHAM BAY PARK IN THE BRONX AS THE NEXT NEIGHBORHOOD X NEIGHBORHOOD FEATURE
—Bronx Communities City Island and Pelham Bay Park Ready to Welcome New Yorkers and Visitors for Summer Travel—
New York City (July 2, 2014) — NYC & Company, New York City’s official marketing, tourism and partnership organization, today announced City Island and Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx as the next destinations to be featured in Neighborhood x Neighborhood. Accessible by bus, train or car, City Island and Pelham Bay Park offer visitors plenty to see and do in the City’s greenest borough, from horseback riding and golfing to dining at seafood restaurants and enjoying seaside activities. For more information on all there is to see and do in City Island and Pelham Bay, visit nycgo.com/nxn.
“This summer is the perfect time to enjoy all that City Island and Pelham Bay Park have to offer from the Bronx’s only public beach, Orchard Beach, to the popular seafood restaurants and harbor views along City Island Avenue,” said Marty Markowitz, Vice President of Borough Promotion and Engagement at NYC & Company. “We encourage both New Yorkers and visitors to explore the Bronx communities and experience City Island’s fishing-village charm and Pelham Bay Park’s 2,700 acres of adventure and breathtaking scenery.”
“Must-See City Island and Pelham Bay Park” Highlights
The following activities, places, venues and more are featured on nycgo.com/nxn.
- Many of City Island’s restaurants specialize in seafood, including the 64-year-old Johnny’s Reef Restaurant and the 68-year-old Lobster Box Restaurant. The Original Crab Shanty serves crab 17 different ways, and Sammy’s Fish Box is known for its platters and surf and turf selections.
- Visitors looking to learn more about City’s Island historical seafaring past can explore the free City Island Nautical Museum. And Captain Mike’s Diving Services offers visitors both scuba certification and specialized classes. Jack’s Bait and Tackle sells fishing supplies and also has boat rentals—everything you’ll need to enjoy fishing on City Island.
- Visitors looking for a treat after their seafood meal can pick up ice cream at Lickety Split, which offers soft serve, gelato and more than 20 flavors of traditional ice cream. Sugar & Spice Bake Shop serves brunch and its menu includes everything from grilled chicken sandwiches and eggs to waffles and oatmeal.
- City Island is home to many galleries including Focal Point Gallery and Kaleidoscope Gallery. In addition to showcasing the work of local artists, the Starving Artist Café & Gallery is also a coffeehouse hangout and hosts live music and open-mic performances on the weekends.
- On the first Friday evening of the month, from April to December, excluding July, the free City Island Seaside Trolley leaves hourly on the half hour from 5:30 to 9:30pm from the Pelham Bay Station and makes stops at the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum and City Island.
- The City’s largest park, Pelham Bay Park, is home to hiking trails, a diverse range of plant and animal life, miles of shoreline, 36 holes of golf and more. The park also offers prime locations to view osprey.
- Located in Pelham Bay Park, Pelham Bay & Split Rock Golf Course has two 18-hole golf courses. In addition, the Turtle Cove Golf Center is home to a miniature golf course and batting cages.
- Known as the “Riviera of New York City,” Orchard Beach is the Bronx’s only public beach. The mile-long beach also has food concessions and recreation facilities.
- Built by Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia in 1842 as a summer office, the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum now gives visitors a look back to 19th-century country life.
- The Bronx Equestrian Center in Pelham Bay Park provides horseback riding lessons, single, group trail rides and more. The Pelham Bay Park’s riding trails offer beautiful views of marshland and woods.
- A salt marsh and forest nature preserve, Hunter Island Marine Zoology and Geology Sanctuary is full of natural marvels including a rocky coastline, an oak forest and a marine ecosystem.
Locals and visitors can explore more of what New York City has to offer this summer with an overnight stay. Many hotels throughout the City offer increased rate savings available now through September 1 when staying three or more nights. For more information and to book a perfect summer stay, visit nycgo.com/hotels.
Neighborhood x Neighborhood: The Essential Guide to NYC
New York City is made up of five distinct boroughs: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. The Neighborhood x Neighborhood initiative spotlights the affordability and accessibility of these diverse communities, including areas that have seen new hotel development in recent years. Neighborhoods and featured highlights are chosen in collaboration with community leaders and with consideration of NYC & Company’s members.
In order to continue to grow New York City’s tourism industry, Neighborhood x Neighborhood targets repeat visitors, intrepid first-time visitors and New Yorkers seeking new adventures here in their home city. The campaign was designed to highlight the diversity of offerings in New York City’s five boroughs, encourage exploration in areas outside traditional tourist locations and generate economic activity in the featured neighborhoods.
Neighborhood x Neighborhood is produced by NYC & Company and its Presenting Sponsor, Santander Bank, N.A. The sponsorship includes production of taxi videos each month, bus stop shelters and street-pole banners highlighting the selected neighborhoods.
For more information about City Island and Pelham Bay Park and other things to see and do across New York City, visit nycgo.com/nxn. To read the monthly Neighborhood x Neighborhood press releases and to view B-roll and photos of neighborhood highlights, visit nycgo.com/press. Follow @nycgo_press on Twitter for the latest information about New York City travel and tourism.
About NYC & Company:
NYC & Company is the official marketing, tourism and partnership organization for the City of New York, dedicated to maximizing travel and tourism opportunities throughout the five boroughs, building economic prosperity and spreading the positive image of New York City worldwide. For more information, visit nycgo.com.
Santander Bank, N.A. is one of the largest retail banks in the United States by deposits. Its main corporate offices are in Boston and it operates principally in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island. Santander’s 9,469 employees serve its 1.8 million customers through the bank’s 706 branches, 2,074 ATMs, call centers, website and mobile app. Supervised by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Santander in the United States is a wholly-owned, financially autonomous subsidiary of Banco Santander (NYSE: SAN), a global commercial and retail bank. For more information about Santander, visit www.santanderbank.com or call 877-768-2265.
Contact: NYC & Company / Chris Heywood 212-484-1270
NYC & Company / Britt Hijkoop 212-484-1270