—New York City’s Destination Marketing Organization
Launches New Shop in NYC Initiative—
New York City (April 21, 2020) – NYC & Company, the official destination marketing organization for the five boroughs of New York City, is encouraging consumers to support the City’s retailers during this challenging time, and announcing the launch of the Shop in NYC digital initiative. Available at nycgo.com/shopinnyc, the tool features local shops, grocers, cultural institutions and more that are selling gift cards and online merchandise, including only-in-NYC clothing, local brews and wine, specialty grocery items, housewares and more.
“There never has been a more important time to support our city’s local retailers, small businesses and iconic stores across the five boroughs. NYC & Company’s new digital initiative Shop in NYC encourages locals and those who love NYC around the world to shop their favorite stores and brands today. Another way to support is the purchase of gift cards and this initiative makes filtering those options a snap,” said NYC & Company President and CEO Fred Dixon.
Shop in NYC showcases local businesses and iconic brands from which consumers can purchase goods from the comfort of their homes. Filters allow for users to sort by categories such as apparel, accessories, books, decor and gift cards. The effort will be promoted through email newsletters, a social media tool kit and social content with the hashtag #ShopInNYC.
See below for some examples of how consumers can still support New York City’s small businesses, as well as some of the City’s famous shopping destinations that are giving back to the community during this crisis.
Shop small and lesser-known businesses across the five boroughs
Represent NYC Apparel
- Represent your favorite NYC cultural institution with clothes, accessories and gifts, shopping the online stores of the Apollo Theater, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, MoMA, New York Hall of Science and the Whitney Museum of American Art.
- Show off love for the Bronx with apparel from Bronx Native, including stylized sweatshirts, hats and phone cases.
- For Queens clothing, home goods and even a special Astoria-themed care package, shop the Lockwood online collection.
- New York City welcomes all, and the gender-free store Phluid Project is the perfect place to buy clothes that embrace your identity.
- Retro-glam sneakers, purses, sweaters and swag await at the TWA Hotel Shop for a blast from New York City’s past.
Fill Your Kitchen with NYC Goods
- For those missing New York City’s Italian food scene, buy a jar of Little Italy in the Bronx pasta sauce supporting the Belmont BID, or get local grocery and wine delivery from either of Eataly's locations.
- Craft beer lovers have a number of choices for delivery and pickup, including The Bronx Beer Hall, The Bronx Brewery, Brooklyn Brewery, Fifth Hammer Brewing, Rockaway Brewing Company, Flagship Brewery and Kills Boro Brewing Co.
- Those who prefer wine can order from Brooklyn Winery and Rooftop Reds, or for something stronger, check out Brooklyn-based Kings County Distillery and New York Distilling Company, as well as Puerto Rican spirits from Port Morris Distillery in The Bronx.
- Sustainable home goods, kitchen supplies and more can be ordered from Package Free, a Brooklyn-based company.
- Try cultural specialties from across the globe at home by preordering the Queens Night Market cookbook, a collection of recipes from a summer market in the City’s most diverse borough.
Treat Yourself, the NYC Way
- While many people are staying at home, it’s the perfect time to buy a book from one of the City’s many independent bookstores, such as Books Are Magic, McNally Jackson or The Lit. Bar.
- From soothing candles to care packages for loved ones, Astoria boutique The Brass Owl continues to ship orders nationwide.
- Spruce up your space with cozy blankets, throw pillows and artwork from Williamsburg’s Leif Shop.
- For luxury straight from Manhattan’s Madison Ave BID, check out special deals and experiences daily through Madison Avenue Now.
- Enjoy entertainment from Empire Outlets, New York City’s outlet destination, with weekly live streams on their Facebook page. During “Talent Tuesdays at 2,” see performances by Staten Island’s community theater groups and artists and have a dance night “in” with live DJ sets during “EO Sessions Saturdays.”
Support Now, Enjoy Later
- One of the best ways to support small businesses at this time is through gift cards for future use, which can be found under the Gift Cards filter at nycgo.com/shopinnyc for retailers and nycgo.com/dineinnyc for restaurants.
Shop at iconic stores that are giving back
- Macy’s has helped raise $1.5 million this year for local food banks through their Bag Hunger Campaign and are encouraging consumers to support the Meals on Wheels Covid-19 Response Fund through an easy donation with any purchase.
- Neiman Marcus is partnering with Joann stores to produce nonsurgical masks, gowns and scrubs for frontline healthcare providers. Online shoppers can also feel confident in their purchases with free shipping and extended return periods.
- For deals and the latest styles, shop Nordstrom's Better Together online sale. The company is also working with their partner Kaas Tailored to sew more than 100,000 masks, which will be distributed to Providence Health & Services.
- In addition to Saks Fifth Avenue’s timely “Stay at Home Edit,” consumers can feel good about their purchase knowing that Saks Fifth Avenue Foundation donated $600,000 to New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Bring Change to Mind, and Girls Inc. to support Covid-19 relief efforts.
- Tiffany & Co. continues to sell their renowned jewelry online, and the Tiffany & Co. Foundation is helping fight Covid-19 with a $1 million donation to the Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund for the World Health Organization (powered by the UN Foundation) and the New York Community Trust’s NYC Covid-19 Response & Impact Fund.
About NYC & Company:
NYC & Company is the official destination marketing organization and convention and visitors bureau for the City of New York, dedicated to maximizing travel and tourism opportunities throughout the five boroughs, building economic prosperity and spreading the positive image of New York City worldwide. For all there is to do and see in New York City, visit nycgo.com.
Media Assets: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/LgLWXQM9Kf
By downloading these Media Assets, you are agreeing to the following terms:
NYC & Company is granting you permission for press use only. Any use of the provided Media Assets, in whole or in part, other than for PRESS purposes, is prohibited (including, but not limited to, copying, distribution or sale of these Media Assets). Please note that the Media Assets must not be used for commercial purposes or rebranded in any way without explicit permission from NYC & Company. NYC & Company is providing this to you without any representations as to rights and clearances with regard to third-party rights.